Learning to Read!

So, our school year has been off to a great start. We are all settled in and things are going well. I have to share how exciting it is to teach your child to read. It is the MOST amazing and exciting thing ever. So we started the kindergarten curriculum the last part of last year, so we are almost done with Fry's first 100 sight words and will be moving on to the first grade sight words. 

Now when I began my journey teaching my son I knew that I would be responsible for his reading. I didn't expect to see it so soon. I thought it would be a while, but these sight words are really the foundation! So for the last month or so he was stuck on a good chunk of words, so I stopped instruction and focused on those words. They include she, has, then, they, what. THEN has been the worst for him to get. So I am ready to move on to finish this curriculum. I turned to Pinterest and I found THE most amazing resource for Fry's first 100 words. It is sight word fluency readers. It can be found in Mrs. Kadeen Teaches store on Teachers Pay Teachers. This is AMAZING and worth the $23 I paid for it! It includes 100 simple sight word readers for all 100 hundred sight words from the Fry's First 100 list. Each sight word page targets a specific sight word. In the reader I had Preston read it three times. I read it first, then I had him read it to me, and then we read it together where he then colored that sight word in the passage. Then at the bottom it lists the sight word with the physical prompt to say it three times. I did this for those hard ones. Guess, what? The next day he had them down. I was never so excited in my life. 

But you know the best thing? He was reading!!! IT was the most amazing feeling in the world. And when I told him he was reading he got the biggest grin on his face. 

Me being the one to teach him and see that process in person is priceless. I could not ask for more. My 'lil man is reading a little bit. We are about to start the easy readers since we are learning the vowel sounds now and doing blending. I bought the PAW Patrol Phonics readers set, so it will keep it interesting.

But above all I want to shout from the rooftops, I TAUGHT MY SON TO READ!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment